Amur Leopard Facts & Figures

 
The Amur Leopard is one of the many animal on the planet that is under the threat of extinction. If you would like to know more about these beautiful animals here are some Amur Leopard facts and figures that could be of interest to you.

The Amur Leopard population is thought to be down to less than 40. This means that action needs to be taken to preserve this animal into the future. It is classed as a critically endangered animal.

Adult males can weigh up to 75kg and females can weigh up to 43kg.

These leopards are solitary animals and are nocturnal, they are strong keen hunters and are able to hide any kills that they have not finished so they will not be eaten by other animals.

The Amur Leopard is thought to live between 10 – 15 years, although specimens that have been kept in captivity have been known to live up to 20 years.

These leopards can jump more than 3 metres into the air.

Right now these leopards have around 20% of their territory left and much of the destruction of the other 80% has occurred over the last 13 years.

Threats to these creatures include: illegal poaching and fur trade, the fact that their prey (sika deers, wild boars, roe deer and many other small animals) is becoming quite scarce.

Inbreeding is also a problem as this can lead to genetic problems which cause many young animals to die at an unusually young age or create uneven sex ratios which prevents the animals from breeding further.

If you would like to do something to help these animals you will be pleased to know that charities are working towards conserving the Amur Leopard which will hopefully start to increase their numbers in the wild.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Twitter
  • RSS